My Inspired Home Office

Home Office 021

I have to admit, I had no idea where to begin when I started making over my home office. First of all, it wasn’t even a room. It was my 6 ft x 7 ft storage closet. Filled to the brim with boxes, and decorations from my wedding, it was hard to imagine that an office could even be possible in this space.

239

It was a friend who had suggested it. After an evening of listening to me go on about how I wished I had two-bedroom apartment so that I could have some space to work in, her advice, get a storage unit, and stop wasting prime space. She was right. Right away I got started on turning my huge storage closet into a quaint office space.

From the Camera 320

Now, five months later, I am excited to share with you the results of the most special space in my home. The place where I come every evening to write to all of you.

Home Office 017

Home Office 034

I wanted the space to feel warm, inviting, and to have a sense of culture to it. I took inspiration from Katya de Grunwald’s “African Chic” photos. Touches of Africa made their way into the space with the Moroccan wedding blanket, and African textiles and seating.

Home Office 030

Home Office 031

Home Office 011

My sister was the one who came up with the orange and blue color palette. I never would have picked these colors on my own, but together the combination is rich, warm and inviting. There are touches of orange and blue throughout the space – the chairs, storage, ikat bowls, even my orange stapler adds warmth to the space. My plumage lampshade brings the color palette together.

From the Camera 322

Home Office 023

Home Office 038

This space needed to stand out, and it does with a lot of unique elements. A bust that makes the perfect bookend. A cream and sugar set that’s now repurposed for pushpins and paperclips. And my handpainted giraffe adds a special pop of color.

From the Camera 330

Home Office 007

The sparkle in this room makes it enchanting, and you truly forget it was ever a closet. The sparkle of my Moroccan rug, the beautiful glow that reflects off the photo frames, and the final touch, my capiz shell chandelier.

This space is beautiful, enchanting, and I absolutely love it. I hope you enjoyed a peak into my home office. Now I can’t wait to see yours!

19 replies
  1. kay*
    kay* says:

wow this is so beautiful and stylish! exactly my style with the global touches – love it. but i have to ask one question – where did you get the wallpaper and does it have a style name??? i’ve been keeping my eyes open for the perfect blackwallpaper with gold or pink detailing and this is perfect! love it all.

2. AphroChic
    AphroChic says:

Thank you so much everyone for your comments! I am so glad that you like the space as much as I do.kay*, the funny thing about the wallpaper is that it’s not wallpaper, it’s gift wrap! I picked up about 10 sheets of this paper at my local Border’s bookstore. My husband and I hung it up with really tiny nails that don’t show up at all. I love it, because it made a great impact in the space, and only cost about $20!I don’t have the style name, but I know it is part of Border’s Paperchase collection.

3. kay*
    kay* says:

genius, genius, genius! i’ll be in NY at the end of the month and hope you don’t mind if i keep my eye open for this gift wrap at borders!even funnier – i was at my local bookstore today looking at their gift wrap and i thought to myself – this would look great as a wallpaper…

4. savant
    savant says:

Thank you for your interesting post, I like the slant on how you wrote this post. I definitely think that a < HREF="http://www.virtualofficespace.com.sg" REL="nofollow"> virtual office space<> is a good alternative for startup companies.

5. coco+kelley
    coco+kelley says:

girl!! you did an AMAZING job of styling this space! so much personality without being overwhelming, and i spy my favorite anthropologie bowls! love the throw in the chair AND the rug too. i’m completely jealous!

6. AphroChic
    AphroChic says:

Thank you so much! I’m blushing from all of these nice comments. I really loved styling this space, and I love my Ikat bowls from Anthro. I have to admit, there are a lot of things from Anthropologie in this small space. Papayayaya, the wicker chairs are from there. I just visited the site, and I don’t think they are available anymore, but you can find similar chairs at Conranusa.com.

7. AphroChic
    AphroChic says:

sdg1844, thank you so much for your comment. It’s so interesting to look at the offices presented. It is true that each one is a look into that person’s personality.

8. AphroChic
    AphroChic says:

Maryam, I am so glad you like it. It really means a lot to me that you appreciate the space. I really was unsure about putting the blanket down as a rug. Originally, it was going to be on the bed, but it was so heavy, and living in CA, it was just to hot and heavy for us. So, I tried it in the office, and I love it so much in there. I didn’t want to disrespect the beautiful work that’s been done, and hope that using it as a rug is in no way disrespectful. It is just the perfect way for me to enjoy this gorgeous piece. Thank you!

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!